PDA

View Full Version : question for the ages

xsecx
07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
if there was never another hardcore band that was straight edge, would straight edge continue without it?

xvunderx
07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I would imagine for a fair while, there would still be hardcore, so there would still be edge kids about, and meeting other HC kids, and probably getting the word out that way.

If there was no more Hardcore period, then it would be like anything else, a load of people who stick to their past and old records, but nothing new happening and no new blood coming in.

flame_still_burns
07-22-2004, 12:07 PM
wow. well, the way that kids cling to the past and bands that were long gone before they were ever in the scene, i think that it would continue on for awhile. but it would sort of get boring after awhile and run out of steam. hardcore shows are such epicenters of our community, meeting people, buying records and zines, and just being immersed in the movement. i think without that it would start to die.

what i always think about is this. 50 or 100 years from now, i'm sure straight edge will still be around. but it is still such a young movement that there are still people that were there. as time goes on and people hit old age and even death, won't it be strange to see if kids still love gorilla biscuits, or if 50 years from now shirts from old bands will still be sought after? it's hard to describe what i mean, but basically i wonder how this whole thing will fare when we are dead and buried... i hope it'll always be around. i think a movement like this would be hard to stop... it may have leaner times, but i think it'll always be around in some form.

xgregx
07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
I think it would live on for a while because people would still have the cds and shit. but you never know.

xsecx
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
with people talking about how hardcore has nothing to do with straight edge, I honestly wonder how they expect things to keep going and continuing. If it's tied to a handful of internet sites, what happens if the people that run them die or sell out? Or is this a case of people coming along to something and not contributing and thinking because it was something they could find out about that it would for everyone else without having to give anything back?

straightXed
07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by xsecx
with people talking about how hardcore has nothing to do with straight edge, I honestly wonder how they expect things to keep going and continuing. If it's tied to a handful of internet sites, what happens if the people that run them die or sell out? Or is this a case of people coming along to something and not contributing and thinking because it was something they could find out about that it would for everyone else without having to give anything back?

Well like you know, straightedge without hardcore is far from unique. The idea of a website isn't unique either but internet communication on the levels of today obviously give way to areas of information that otherwise have no connection with people at all. Obviously the internet is a valuable tool for straightedge hardcore but it does put it on the cherry tree for people to pick from, thats what i see that as. For those people hardcore was never part of it as their first experience of it is all that counts which is often internet based, The problem is the type of people who then adopt that, from what i see theirs pretty much a pattern as to the type of people who try to pass themselves off as straightedge. So it then gets picked up by people who doccument that demographic but as their interest is not in any way to perserve straightedge as we know it, it gets misconstrued, So without a source in which the original idea flows undamaged the idea will become something very different and very redundant. In the begining redundant from its original sense and before to long redundunt in the scene of those that have cherry picked the fruit dry. Its like a game of chinese whispers really but people aren't interested as to where it came from as they can manipulate it to fit them and use it to gain themselves some kudos although i'm sure if you put forth that idea it would be met with denile. What i want to know is why is there such fascination with adopting straight edge, if its not to say look at me i'm cool, i'm so much different than all of you, then what is it? If hardcore wasn't so good io wouldn't really see the appeal.

xgregx
07-22-2004, 08:21 PM
dusty are you trying to hint to us that you are closing down this site?

xsecx
07-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by xshadowsfallx
dusty are you trying to hint to us that you are closing down this site?

no. I'm hinting that I'm dying.

and selling out.

straightXed
07-23-2004, 05:45 AM
no. I'm hinting that I'm dying.

and selling out.

how so?

xsecx
07-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
how so?

we're all dying.

straightXed
07-23-2004, 06:39 AM
we're all dying.

yeah i know, but how are you selling out?

xsecx
07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by straightXed
yeah i know, but how are you selling out?

I was joking?

xvunderx
07-23-2004, 08:37 AM
I was joking?

Then why did you have my buy that bottle of scotch?

xgregx
07-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I was joking?

lame

xsecx
07-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by xshadowsfallx
lame

you're the one that brought it up, billy.

straightXed
07-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I was joking?

sorry, didn't get it, please excuse me.