PDA

View Full Version : let's compile a list...

flame_still_burns
07-12-2005, 09:12 AM
...a list of the 10 absolute essential hardcore records.

this could be an evolving list... but what are 10 records that absolutely no hardcore kid should be without?

here are one's that i think should be up for discussion (in no order):

cro-mags - age of quarrel
gorilla biscuits - start today
bad brains - self titled
minor threat - complete discography
judge - bringin' it down
dag nasty - can i say
uniform choice - screaming for change

i know that's only seven... i really wanna see what everyone else says. maybe we could actually compile a required listening list.

xsecx
07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I'd add

ensign - direction of things to come
champion- count our numbers
ssd -the kids will have their say
redemption 87 - s/t
shai hulud - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion

SgtD
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
this is fucking hard! i would add

dys - brotherhood
youth of today - can't close my eyes
slapshot - back on the map
bold - speak out
integrity - those who fear tomorrow
sick of it all - just look around

djay
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
maybe some will disagree :

Evanescence-Fallen..hahaha
With honor-Heart means everything
Strike anywhere-exit english
and uh...whats ssd?

xsecx
07-12-2005, 11:43 AM
maybe some will disagree :

Evanescence-Fallen..hahaha
With honor-Heart means everything
Strike anywhere-exit english
and uh...whats ssd?

with honor is good, but I don't think it's good enough to be required. the verse full length is the only thing that's been released lately that I would consider.

ssd. society system decontrol. Most likely the second straight edge band ever. They were from boston and before they turned crappy they put out some good records.

flame_still_burns
07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
it's tough... i think it's a lot easier to fall back on older records that have stood up to the test of time.

there are records that are new that i think are amazing...but i didn't include them because if we are talking about essential, we are talking tried and true.

newer stuff i love: (but not adding to the list)

modern life is war - my love my way
verse - rebuild
strike anywhere - change is a sound

not that new:

lifetime - hello bastards

xsecx
07-12-2005, 01:23 PM
not that new:

you said hardcore. haw haw

djay
07-12-2005, 01:54 PM
ssd. society system decontrol. Most likely the second straight edge band ever. They were from boston and before they turned crappy they put out some good records.

I'll see what I can do to hear some.

xsecx
07-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I'll see what I can do to hear some.

it should be really easy to find. just don't buy power.

xsecx
07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
adding

avail - 4am friday
comp- where the wild things are
embrace -s/t
token entry - jaybird
7 seconds - the crew

flame_still_burns
07-13-2005, 04:46 PM
it's gonna be tough to whittle these down to 10.

djay
07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
it should be really easy to find. just don't buy power.

Is ''POwer'' the title of one of their records?

O_o
07-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Is ''POwer'' the title of one of their records?

It's sort of a compilation cd by Taang! of a few of their records/recording sessions.
It sucks. I think Taang! only sells that one.
I guess you can find the originals on vinyl all over the www.

O_o

djay
07-14-2005, 08:55 AM
It's sort of a compilation cd by Taang! of a few of their records/recording sessions.
It sucks. I think Taang! only sells that one.
I guess you can find the originals on vinyl all over the www.

O_o

okay thanks

xdaddydaycorex
07-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Youth Of Today - Break Down The Walls
Minor Threat -s/t (Discord #12; w/ the first two 7 inches and Out of Step)
Black Flag-Damaged
Redemption 87 - All Guns Poolside
Champion-Count Our Numbers
Bane-It All Comes Down To This
Carry On-A Life Less Plagued
A18- Dear Furious
Sick Of It All- Scratch The Surface
One King Down- Bloodlust Revenge

(honorable mention; blue monday-what's done is done, insted-what we belive, soia-s/t,
ten yard fight-the only way, proclamation-taken by force)

yeah , i know theres alot of new stuff here and maybe it isn't tried and true yet...but my guess is that these records will end up passing the test of time.

oh and by no means are these ment to replace the original and previous posts by ya'll, just wanted these out there for consideration.

keithxXx
07-15-2005, 12:50 AM
death before dishonor - true till death
casey jones- the few the proud the crucial
champion- time slips away
xDEATHSTARx- the triumph

xgregx
07-15-2005, 04:10 AM
A18- Dear Furious

I bought that cd used...it was horrible.

xsecx
07-15-2005, 09:11 AM
death before dishonor - true till death
casey jones- the few the proud the crucial
champion- time slips away
xDEATHSTARx- the triumph

so you'd put those above everything else prior? I have hard time adding more than 1 or 2 records made in the last few years, even though I do think new stuff should be considered, lists like this need to tried and true.

xdaddydaycorex
07-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I bought that cd used...it was horrible.
what's horrible is that you can't recognize great hardcore like A18 when you hear it.

keithxXx
07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
so you'd put those above everything else prior? I have hard time adding more than 1 or 2 records made in the last few years, even though I do think new stuff should be considered, lists like this need to tried and true.
well i would add them to the list due to the fact that i think they are great records and if you heard them you will know that they are great

xsecx
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
well i would add them to the list due to the fact that i think they are great records and if you heard them you will know that they are great

I've heard most of them, and while I'd agree that they're good, they wouldn't replace something like start today or bringing it down.

XplagueX
07-15-2005, 04:08 PM
I know its not its not much to add but it is newer
American Nightmare- backround music

xdaddydaycorex
07-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I know its not its not much to add but it is newer
American Nightmare- backround music
gutg - year one is a better album but still not great enough to make this list.

XplagueX
07-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Okay what about give up the ghost- love american? or
embrace today-Soldiers

djay
07-16-2005, 02:44 PM
hey,(a little bit off topic but...) where can i find Bringing it on by Judge? i didnt see it on amazon...

xsecx
07-16-2005, 06:56 PM
hey,(a little bit off topic but...) where can i find Bringing it on by Judge? i didnt see it on amazon...

revhq.com

linsee
07-16-2005, 08:06 PM
newer stuff i love: (but not adding to the list)

modern life is war - my love my way
verse - rebuild

not that new:

thank youuuuuuu

xgregx
07-16-2005, 08:53 PM
what's horrible is that you can't recognize great hardcore like A18 when you hear it.

its not that I don't recognize it, it is I don't really like that type of hardcore.

Xs Always Win
07-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Essentials:
Gorilla Biscuits-start today
SSD-The Kids Will Have Their Say
Minor Threat-Out Of Step
CarryOn-A Life Less Plagued
Ten Yard Fight-Hardcore Pride
Judge-Bringin' It Down
YOT-Cant Close My Eyes

newer stuff that peeps should definately check out:
Blue Monday-Rewritten
Verse-Rebuild
________
buy herbalaire vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

flame_still_burns
07-17-2005, 04:47 AM
Essentials:
Gorilla Biscuits-start today
SSD-The Kids Will Have Their Say
Minor Threat-Out Of Step
CarryOn-A Life Less Plagued
Ten Yard Fight-Hardcore Pride
Judge-Bringin' It Down
YOT-Cant Close My Eyes

newer stuff that peeps should definately check out:
Blue Monday-Rewritten
Verse-Rebuild

i think if YOT were to be represented it should be for 'we're not in this alone'...which despite shoddy production is their best material.

djay
07-17-2005, 09:16 PM
revhq.com

thanks dusty, if i ever see you, ill kiss you on the forehead(or not)(you choose)

xsecx
07-18-2005, 08:59 AM
thanks dusty, if i ever see you, ill kiss you on the forehead(or not)(you choose)

that's alright. that's why handshakes and smiles were invented.

XplagueX
07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I think we should add
comeback kid- wake the dead

flame_still_burns
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
that's alright. that's why handshakes and smiles were invented.

nice subtle judge reference.

in other news...the people booking hellfest called mike judge to ask about a judge reunion and apparently he said 'go fuck yourself!' and hung up immediately. best possible answer.

flame_still_burns
07-19-2005, 05:17 PM
I think we should add
comeback kid- wake the dead

i think we should add that to the scrapheap.

xGriffox
07-19-2005, 07:38 PM

in other news...the people booking hellfest called mike judge to ask about a judge reunion and apparently he said 'go fuck yourself!' and hung up immediately. best possible answer.
also speaking of hellfest public enemy is performing.

XplagueX
07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I really think it is horrible how they mock hardcore by saying that there is going to be tons of hardcore bands preforming it justs angers me. Of course i hate FXC because it is ruining such hard work from such great people.

SgtD
07-20-2005, 09:16 AM
i think we should add that to the scrapheap.
hahaha seconded!

xsecx
07-20-2005, 10:32 AM

hellfest needs to end. the amount they're charging people for dealer tables is insane and really is just all about the money.

I honestly don't know which would be worst, the bold reunion, the semi gb reunion or a judge reunion.

xsecx
07-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I really think it is horrible how they mock hardcore by saying that there is going to be tons of hardcore bands preforming it justs angers me. Of course i hate FXC because it is ruining such hard work from such great people.

fxc?

SgtD
07-20-2005, 11:24 AM
hellfest needs to end. the amount they're charging people for dealer tables is insane and really is just all about the money.

I honestly don't know which would be worst, the bold reunion, the semi gb reunion or a judge reunion.
i would love to see GB and Rollins with Bad Brains perform to benefit cbgbs though.

xsecx
07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
i would love to see GB and Rollins with Bad Brains perform to benefit cbgbs though.

why? it wouldn't be those bands you'd be seeing.

SgtD
07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
why? it wouldn't be those bands you'd be seeing.
i know, but i never had a chance to see those bands live while they existed, it would be fucking great for me.
you saw all those bands when they were on their peak, but not everyone is that lucky (or OLD)

xsecx
07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
i know, but i never had a chance to see those bands live while they existed, it would be fucking great for me.
you saw all those bands when they were on their peak, but not everyone is that lucky (or OLD)

yeah, but that's the point though. the past is dead and gone. what you'd be seeing now, wouldn't be the same. the words don't mean anything to them. They're just going through motions. This is why reunions are weak, especially straight edge bands whose members aren't anymore. You're supporting a lie and getting excited about something that's dead and won't ever come back.

SgtD
07-20-2005, 11:37 AM
yeah, but that's the point though. the past is dead and gone. what you'd be seeing now, wouldn't be the same. the words don't mean anything to them. They're just going through motions. This is why reunions are weak, especially straight edge bands whose members aren't anymore. You're supporting a lie and getting excited about something that's dead and won't ever come back.
they are just as frail people as you and me are. i don't blame them. you probably couldn't convince Mike Judge, or Ian to reunite. but that's okay with me, however i would still see them if i had a chance to.

xsecx
07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
they are just as frail people as you and me are. i don't blame them. you probably couldn't convince Mike Judge, or Ian to reunite. but that's okay with me, however i would still see them if i had a chance to.

you should blame, them, that's the point. you've reduced it down to the one thing it was never meant to be. just music.

SgtD
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
you should blame, them, that's the point. you've reduced it down to the one thing it was never meant to be. just music.
i understand your point.

but what do you think about newer bands like Trial reuniting?

xsecx
07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
i understand your point.

but what do you think about newer bands like Trial reuniting?

apples and oranges. The Trial dudes didn't sell out and turn their backs on straight edge or hardcore or make a bunch of statements about how shitty both were after they left it. The whole point is whether or not the emotion is still there, the sentiment. What made it what it was. GB and Bold and even 108 are just going through the motions and turning it into just music.

XplagueX
07-21-2005, 11:32 AM
fxc?
FXC is a thing called fashioncore Im sure youve heard of it. Its where bands hear some HXC and think that they sound like that cause they scream and such, and claim to be HXC because it will make them popular.

xsecx
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
FXC is a thing called fashioncore Im sure youve heard of it. Its where bands hear some HXC and think that they sound like that cause they scream and such, and claim to be HXC because it will make them popular.

i've heard of it, but would never think to dignify it with lumping it in with hxc or sxe on the abbreviation train.

XplagueX
07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Yes but the kids you claim say that fashioncore is fxc you know it sounds hardcore almost in a sense.

xsecx
07-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Yes but the kids you claim say that fashioncore is fxc you know it sounds hardcore almost in a sense.

it's mostly not the sound of it that makes it stupid.