PDA

View Full Version : hey, its rodrigo's poll time

rodrigo
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
as most of you know, i like to draw and i've done some gigs drawing covers for some friend's bands.
at the moment i'm working for a hiphop band, did the drawings for the front and back cover and i'm working on this for the site they're gonna get
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2629/4231821452_5f651b8f46_b.jpg.

pretty neat, huh?

well, i got a question for you all.
just to see what the crowds will say.

i've never had any kind of formal training in arts, all i know about drawings, i've learned on my own, reading and studying comicbooks, going to art expositions and talking to people on how to do something.

And now i have the chance of taking classes, really cheap, like 10 bucks a week and also got the time.

so what do you think i should do, keep the selftaught road or take the classes?

D1988
01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Crack and Whores dude. Obviously.

But really, if the classes are cheap and it will give you some inspiration/new techniques, any improvement on your awesome work already, then you have nothing to lose and should take the classes.

mouseman004
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I say take the classes, because they can take what you have already (amazingly) taught yourself and help you learn the specifics, or hone your skills.

Telilah
01-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I was going to say DIY but if the classes are cheap and you have free time why not, even if they arent that great it just means youll have a set time to concentrate on your art without distraction.

lo0m
01-06-2010, 01:01 AM
you got it all there.. do YOUR style as YOU like it.. it's wonderful, no kidding.. if you want to learn new stuff then study art. but art itself.. look at paintings/graphics you like and try to verbalize WHY you like them - then try to learn from it... it will teach you more than any art class or any artist himself...

Lifestyle_X
01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Crack 'n hos fo sho bro !

easy
01-06-2010, 07:43 AM
yo! is there anyway you could help me out with a cover design for an LP? we need a two color design to be a limited silkscreened cover... would be quite helpful!!!!!

rodrigo
01-06-2010, 08:06 AM
yo! is there anyway you could help me out with a cover design for an LP? we need a two color design to be a limited silkscreened cover... would be quite helpful!!!!!

sure! hit me up on aim or msn or anything.

or to rodrigo [at] sxe.com

Lifestyle_X
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Do you use software, or are they all drawn by hand ?

rodrigo
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Do you use software, or are they all drawn by hand ?

hand drawn, but the dot patterns come from photoshop, same as the colors

SgtD
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
no matter how good your stuff is, you probably would be able to learn a lot of important things in the class, so yeah, i think you should go. even if it's just small things you would learn, it'd be worth it.

D1988
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
People are doing the poll wrong......

Lifestyle_X
01-07-2010, 10:38 AM
hand drawn, but the dot patterns come from photoshop, same as the colors

Crazy !

xvunderx
01-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I'd say if that classes are that cheap go for it!
I've been DIYing it with pattern drafting for years, and made some pretty neat stuff, but I recently took a class and when I came away all I could think was "why didn't I do this sooner?" A lot of it was little things that were almost like a missing piece from an almost finished jigsaw puzzle, and already my work is heaps better than it was just a couple of months ago. These classes could be the same for you.

I think you have a great eye, and a great style. I think you do great work without classes, but that classes never hurt, and you might find out a few things you never thought of before.

xCrucialDudex
01-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I voted for classess and my thinking is that what others have already said - no matter what I think you can learn something from the classess and that would most certainly benefit you. So, I think you should by all means use this opportunity, especially when it comes not so expensive. You're fairly good in my opinion but, and you know it yourself, you could be and grow a lot better.

El Moro
01-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow that's really cool.

If I were you I would take the classes, maybe then your skills could improve and look even better.

CarlaRant
01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
How are the classes going? :D